Girls on the Run of Greater Knoxville serves more than 300 girls per semester in the East Tennessee region. With only one staff member, we rely heavily on our enthusiastic volunteers. Please read the volunteer opportunities below, select what works best for you, and submit a volunteer application. If you are interested in coaching, please fill out this form.
We look forward to working with you!
Be a coach.
- Coaches work directly with the 3rd– 8th-grade girls, teaching them healthy habits, and training them for the end-of-season 5K event!
- Coaches must be available after-school hours.
- Our 10-week programs meet twice a week after school for 90 minutes. Coaches are expected to attend every session.
- Coaches must complete an application/interview process and attend a 5-hour pre-season training session.
- Watch this video about what it is like to coach.
- If you are interested in becoming a coach for our program, please fill out this form.
Be on a working group.
- Support our Fundraising and Events committees through advertising, selling tickets, collecting silent auction items, or writing thank you notes to our supporters.
- Assist our programming by sorting program boxes and curriculum worksheets, distributing materials to sites, assisting coaches, and being cheerleaders for lessons and the practice 5K.
- Grow our SoleMates program by recruiting new participants, arranging social gatherings, and hosting a race-day hospitality tent. To become a SoleMate click here.
Support coaches and the board.
- Be a location host for board meetings or coaches meetings.
- Provide food and drinks for coaches meetings.
- Contact Kelly Eldridge at email@example.com to sign up.
Support the 5k event.
- Help with setup, registration, photography, face-painting and the Happy Hair station, t-shirt and water sales, and the distribution of medals and water.
- Register here
Become a Running Buddy!
- Ready. Set. Go! Lace up your sneakers, put on your GOTR gear and get ready for a 5k experience unlike any other. The excitement in the air is palpable as the girls meet their teammates, get their pictures taken, chant “Girls on the Run is so much fun” and squeeze in a final energy award before heading to the starting line. Your girl may want to hold your hand, skip, sprint or walk, and no matter what she chooses, you’ll be the support she needs along the course. And at the end, when the finish line comes into sight, you will never forget the look on her face as she crosses and realizes that, indeed, she can accomplish anything she sets her mind to do. Ready to run? Take the first step today. Sign up here: Running Buddy Sign Up
Bring GOTR to a school.
- Fill out a Site Application to bring Girls on the Run to your school!